Very often, I seem to have a few apples around that have developed a bruise and are no longer pristine. I could simply cut them up for munching avoiding those blemishes but chopped up into small chunks and worked into a basic muffin batter complete with a dose of cinnamon is more to my fancy.
The liquid in these muffins comes from the use of sour cream and some melted butter. The batter at first will seem a bit thick, but don't worry, it thins out when you gently fold in the apple. You can choose to add on a streusel topping or to omit it. Although I normally choose to make them without the topping, I sometimes am in the mood for that little extra sweetness that the topping gives.
Very light with a punch of cinnamon and little chunks of fresh apple. The recipe instructions are given for 12 standard sized muffins. If you like your muffins jumbo sized, check the note at the bottom of the recipe for baking instructions for large sized muffins.
Enjoy with your morning coffee or a cold glass of milk!!
Apple Streusel Muffins
- "For the muffins"
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, chopped apple
- "For the streusel topping"
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tblsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tblsp cold butter
1. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, sour cream and melted butter. Beat until well combined. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until everything is just moistened. Gently fold in chopped apple.
3. Grease muffin cups or line with muffin papers. Fill two thirds full with batter.
4. For the optional streusel topping, add sugar, flour and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in the cold butter until the mixture is the size of crumbs. Top each muffin with approx. 1 teaspoon of the mixture.
For standard muffins, bake 18 to 20 minutes at 400°F. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center. When it comes out clean, the muffins are done. Cool.
For jumbo sized muffins, bake at 425°F for 5 minutes, then turn the oven down to 375°F and continue baking for 20-25 minutes longer checking for doneness.
Adapted from Taste of Home
Powered by Recipage