Let your slow cooker do all the work! Simply add all the ingredients in the morning, cook on low and by dinner time you have a delicious pulled pork ready to pile up on a bun! Just add a salad or coleslaw for a complete dinner.
For the past month, we have been planning a big surprise party for my husband who is celebrating a milestone birthday. I didn't want anyone to have to spend the day manning the barbecue, so decided on Pulled Pork for our main dish. The slow cooker does all the work and you just have to take credit for the yumminess!!
I tossed everything in the crock pot early in the morning and it was ready to serve up to guests in the afternoon. The sauce is not heavy on the barbecue sauce, is just slightly sweet and has a bit of kick from the chili powder. I tend to not like super spicy, so I did hold back on the chili powder, but if spicy is your thing, by all means, add the full amount called for. About two thirds through the cooking time, remove the meat to a platter and with the aid of two forks, shred the roast into small pieces. Put all of the shredded meat back into the crock pot to soak up all those wonderful juices. The meat is wonderfully juicy, super tender with just a hint of heat.
I needed something to serve 25-35 people, so I did double up the recipe for this event - after all, any leftovers could easily be packaged up in meal size portions and stored in the freezer. My husband did wonder why I had such a large amount of pork so I just let him think I was doing some freezer cooking. We got him out of the house for the morning on the pretense of helping with a reno project so I could take care of last minute stuff and by the time he arrived back home in the early afternoon, there was a house full of guests to greet him! Can't believe we managed to keep this as a surprise for well over a month!!
Pile up on a bun and serve with coleslaw or a salad for a complete meal!!
SLOW COOKER PULLED PORK
Keywords: slow-cooker sandwich American
- 1 pork shoulder or loin roast (about 4 pounds)
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tblsp prepared mustard
- 1 Tblsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tblsp chili powder
- 2-3 large cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
1. Place pork roast in bottom of slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients; mix well and pour over pork.
2. Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or on low 8-10 hours.
3. About two thirds of the way through the cooking time, remove the roast to a platter. Using two forks, shred the meat. Return shredded meat to the slow cooker and stir to fully coat all pieces with the juices.
4. Serve on buns of your choice.
Adapted from allrecipes
Powered by Recipage